For some reason, the Bible has become less and less important in the daily lives of believers. This seems especially true of believers in the Western world. While many parts of the world are desperate to get their hands on the Word of God, Western believers have easy access to the Word and yet many are neglecting the daily discipline of reading the Bible. Why is this?
One reason we may be less inclined to regularly feed on the Word is because we have forgotten the benefits this daily discipline affords us. For those of us who have forgotten these benefits, here are 6 benefits the Word promises we will receive:
- It gives you the power to overcome sin. Psalm 119:11 says, "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Have you ever felt like the apostle Paul in Romans 7 who cried out "why do I do the things I know not to do, and the things I know I should do, I don't." I know I have. And in those times, it is easy to resort to prayer for an answer. Yet the Psalmist proclaims that the way to overcome sin, is to get the Word into our hearts.
- It gives you direction and clarity for your future. Psalm 119:105 says, "Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path." Again, when I am searching for the right answer or for direction in my life, it is easy to fall back on prayer. While praying is never wrong, again the Psalmist says that the Word is the right tool when needing direction or an answer. And it's true! Many times I have been stumped with what to do or where to go, and I will read something in the Word that will give the answer to the questions I am asking. That is why I have made it a habit of reading a chapter in Proverbs every day. There is too many answers in that book alone to ignore!
- It is your weapon against temptation. Matthew 4:3-4 says, The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.” Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” Jesus used the Word as His weapon to fend off the devil's temptations. He had the Word memorized and unleashed the right verse that would counter the specific lie the enemy was trying to sell Him. This is how we should overcome the temptations we regularly face. Again, it comes to depositing the Word into our hearts and memorizing the Word in our minds.
- It will bring you freedom from hurts, habits, and hang-ups. John 8:31-32 says, So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” The key word in this verse is "continue." Jesus said if we continue in His Word. That means regularly feeding on it, not just reading it once. If we continue in His Word we will transform our thinking to His thinking and this will bring the truth that will set us free from whatever bondage we are facing.
- It will lead you to prosperity and success. Joshua 1:8 says, "This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success." God promised Joshua success and prosperity if he would continue in His Word, meditating and memorizing and speaking it regularly. I've found this to be true. God's systems, as revealed in the Word, don't always make sense in the natural, but for some reason they always lead to good things. When we begin to see as God sees we will do as God does, and this can only lead to prosperity and success.
- It will lead you to salvation and show you how to live God's way. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "There’s nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us." The Bible will show you the way to eternal salvation and to living a righteous life, which simply means a life that is right standing with God. You will find your destiny here and will become eligible for all of the above benefits.
I would encourage everyone to make a daily habit of reading and studying God's Word. If you don't have a Bible, you can order one here. Don't hesitate, start today! And watch what God will do in your life.
Question: What other benefits can you think of? Please comment below in the "Leave a Reply" box. Thank you.